Post #3,
I feel that The Book of Negro's is a title that people should not be angry about. For one, authors spend a lot of time thinking about good titles and they go through so much to find one title that fits and works for them. He clearly chose this title because it fit. Secondly, he isn't being racist. firstly, it relates to slavery and how it was like to be one back in the 1700's. Secondly, he himself is black. I am not saying that people can call themselves racist names because they are one, however, if people read the short story "black + white = black" they would understand that the author had a hard time growing up. If he had no choice but to change the title, I like the title "Somebody Know's My Name."
I agree with the fact that "Somebody Knows My Name" is a good replacement title if it was necessary, but I feel that it wouldn't be a bad idea to rename "The Book of Negroes" to something else. It also isn't a bad title as mentioned, but I feel the word doesn't quite fit in, even though the word is used often in today's society. However, in the author's perspective, everybody has different opinions on titles, and therefore I strongly agree that he chose "The Book of Negroes" as the title because he thinks that it fits.
ReplyDelete